Thursday, February 18, 2016

Peabody Museum of Natural History

ooh, its been 8 days.,..  sorry about that!  so you see, I'm trying to do this blogging thing more regularly but I take pictures mostly with my phone these days... and sometimes the uploading to the computer doesn't work... excuses, I know...

So the kids had a funny school vacation this week.  They had Friday, Monday and Tuesday off.  On Tuesday we headed to the Peabody Museum in New Haven.  Of course, we had an ice storm monday night so the roads were sheets of ice on Tuesday.  Except the main roads, they were fine. So we cancelled our plans and then reinstated them!

We headed down to arrive at opening time knowing the museum would be busy.  And I'm spoiled to be able to enjoy most museums with my family on weekdays, sometimes we are the only ones in the museum!  It's blissful.  The Peabody is really cool museum, very history, some really amazing finds, not a 'kids' museum but fascinating for all ages.  But it's small.  Surprisingly small.  The walkways are narrow, the stairwells are narrow.  There were tables set up (in the way) to have games and touch-a-fossil table and while it was super cool, I was so incredibly frustrated.  Annoyed.  Irritated.  I don't know why but I couldn't shake it. And in retrospect my crappy mood ruined this outing for me and my memories... I blew it for myself.  Hopefully not for my kids...

The highlights of this museum to me was the ant farm (I know, now the dinos?  hello!!!).  It was so unbelievably cool and ran along the entire wall of the discovery room with 10s if not 100s of thousands of leaf cutter ants working, carrying, marching.  They also had these huge dinosaur skeletons (were they real?  I have no idea) and giant skulls of triceratops and other HUGE headed dinos.  And I got to touch a t rex tooth.  THAT was cool.  The building itself could be a museum, an old brown stone 3 story building.

No comments:

Post a Comment