Friday, April 10, 2015

In One Month

One month from today I will be doing a sprint triathlon in Marlboro MA.  One month.  On Mother's Day!  I will challenge my body in a way I never have, for longer than I ever have in any competition.  I will swim 250 yards (in a pool) then immediately bike for 9.3 miles and then run for 3.2 miles.  The distances are a bit smaller than a typical 'sprint' triathlon and it's a pool swim -thank god, it's still freezing here!  I expect my race will take me about 2 hours to complete- though all the mentors and support boards I've been cyber-stalking suggest to not worry about time for your first one... how can I not?  Honestly I'm hoping I go under 2 hours!  

It is interesting, Dave and I ran a race a few weeks ago and he asked me what my goal was... do you know, I've been running for like 7 years on and off?  And do you know what my goal still is every 5k?  My goal is to simply run the whole time.  That's it!  Every time I run for exercise I go about 3 miles but still my goal in a race is to merely to run the whole time- 'what an under-achiever', I thought to myself.  So last race I made a measurable goal.  I plucked it out of thin air, but I made one.  It was a great benchmark for me and fun to say that I 'reached'  my arbitrary goal!  I ran my 5k (which is 3.1 miles) in 30:59.  That's pretty awesome for me.  I think once ever I ran under 30 minutes back in 2007.

Ok, so what's very interesting to me is that I take a while to warm up.  I've found that I absolutely hate the first half of a spin class but love the second half- almost to the minute something switches.  The first mile of running is the worst!  So I'm concluding that an endurance type sport like this might just be one that I do ok.  I might warm up enough to not hate the first half of every sport.

A woman who has been competing in triathlons for a few decades has taken me under her wing and answered all of my questions from what do I wear (you wear the same thing through all three sports, you know!  nudity is illegal!)  or what to do if I have to pee?  She has given me an abundance of advice for me to feel confident in doing this first somewhat real race.  (since the swim is in a pool it doesn't feel like a 'real' triathlon) and I am sincerely grateful that she has joined me in this race too!

So if there is anyone out there who wants to spend a few hours of Mother's Day cheering me on and will be around Marlboro MA, please let me know.  I'll pass along my start time when I learn it!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Colleen!! I'll be cheering you on from Nashville. I hope you have an awesome race day and at the end, you feel good about what you accomplished! Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete