I'm not sure if this is nesting or if it is merely us feeling the pressure to get stuff done before Baby Girl arrives in April but whatever it is, it feels a little crazy. It feels like there are SO many decisions to be made on top of the getting-ready-to-have-a-baby stuff- it can be overwhelming. That is, until you stop over analyzing everything and start making some decisions. The past few days we've started to make some decisions and it feels great!
- We got a security system installed on Friday (we set off the ear piercing alarm Saturday morning- rookie mistake). The police didn't come.
- We are having our bathroom refinished so we've chosen/ordered the new vanity and sink and faucet (that was easy), found and reserved a plumber and electrician and just today chose (from a website) a new toilet. We are back to the drawing board for paint colors but think we've narrowed down to a blue, perhaps the identical color to our upstairs bathroom. Strangely this has been the toughest decision of the whole project.
- We've almost 100% decided on a name for Baby Girl
- We've nearly 100% decided on a preschool for Nolan
- We signed Nolan up for a drop off class starting in late-February, one day a week for 2 hours which will continue through June- allowing him to get used to the class before BG (baby girl) arrives and then allows for some time for just me and BG after she arrives.
- I think I've decided on the double jogging stroller I will purchase when it gets closer to BG's arrival. For those who remember/knew me when purchasing a stroller for Nolan, it took weeks for me to decide and I'm overjoyed with that purchase. Because Nolan is so much taller than most 3 year old kids we needed to be sure he wasn't too tall for this particular one.
- We are attempting to go diaper-free during naptime. This is scary and potentially gross but the kid can't wear diapers during nap forever and he's been waking up dry most days.
- We have successfully gotten Nolan to calm down and go to bed using bribery and a sleep chart after only one awful night of screaming/tantrum. He has been doing really well, not playing typical 3-year-old games and crying/wailing etc. However every night or nap he gets out of bed to either walk to the door, put away a special friend, turn the light on and then off again or put his fan on another setting- each outing lasting about 5 seconds. Today we begin tougher rules, no getting out of bed at all in order to earn a smiley face. 4 days (or 8 smiley faces) earns lunch and ice cream at a restaurant. He loves this reward, hopefully it continues to work.
- We've begun planning his birthday party. Mickey Mouse themed birthday party at a local Nature Center. We've decided on the food, the decor and the goodies, all nice to have decided. Now we need to buy them. Just nice to have it crossed off the list.
- Trying to decide what to get Nolan as a gift for his birthday. Also trying to decide if/what BG should get Nolan as a gift. If anyone has ideas, please share!
- I am entering the above orchid in a state wide flower contest in late February. It has just begun blooming again and is really amazing how pretty it is. This makes me excited about springtime though I have decided to not start our veggies from seeds but rather buy seedlings from our nursery. I just think having a 3 year old, a newborn and all those delicate seedlings will be too much for me to attempt. Though we did get a compost tumbler and it's exciting to think about the rewards from that!
- I think we are closer to getting a swingset. We stopped in today and picked up a brochure. This also means replacing some of our garden with grass which I am utterly thrilled about. Our garden is gorgeous when taken care of though I am unimpressed with a section of it that either features a sole ground cover that I don't love and has spread like wildfire or it has a ton of stuff that I'm not sure if it's weed or not. So we're just going to make a big section of it grass to accommodate a swingset/playscape.
For now, I think that's all. It's nice to write it out. There is so much to do and it feels too early to do much of it. So now it just sits on a list waiting for the appropriate month to get it done. I'm excited about the bathroom and felt like I was sitting in Fort Knox on Friday afternoon, all locked up and safe. I'm pleased with our decisions and that we are crossing things off that darn list.