Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rest In Peace, Gram

My Gram, oh she was SO not a 'Grandma' passed away this morning after a terminal illness.  She was such a remarkable woman who lived a full and exciting life filled with lots of children, adventure and fun.
She was a woman I really got to know as a grown up, she lived so far away when we were children.  I didn't get to see her very often.  I was fortunate that my job took me to Toronto several times over the course of several years.  I got to re-introduce myself to her and to experience her as many grandchildren do not get to experience their Grandparents.  I feel really fortunate to have had such a special relationship with her. 
 She was always busy.  She played bridge, had an avid bookclub (and sometimes we were reading the same books which made for our visits even more fun), met up at the Senior Center or drove her friends who no longer drove.  (She was a fast driver, making even me nervous in the car.  Not the old lady doing 15 down the street, but flying up to stop signs and slamming the breaks- probably not the safest but it seemed to fit her personality).  She was a spitfire, never to hold back her honest opinion and rarely to waiver when making a decision.  I admire her for the woman she was.
 How lucky I feel that she got to meet Nolan a few years ago.  There are some very cute pictures of the two of them just taking each other in.  Just last week I was asking her how she ever got through the terrible twos with all of her children.  She just laughed.  What a delightful sound.
 She was such an awesome lady.   She was firm, loving and spicy all at the same time.  
Rest In Peace, Gram.  You will be missed.

1 comment: