Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Resolutions

This year I'm planning to take more time to myself.  To be selfish and do what I want.  Not what I think I should be doing.  Not what other people think I should be doing but what I want.  Lower my expectations of myself and just let me be me. Here are ways I want to be more ME in 2012.

Use my ME time more wisely. Stop doing things I don’t want to do or feel obligated to. I belong to several clubs that I don’t really love and have decided that I won’t renew my membership. The obligations are not much but it doesn’t make sense for me to commit to something when I don’t really want to be doing it. If I don’t want to watch tv, then don’t. It’s not quality time to sit next to my dear husband and watch in silence and then think of all the things I could be doing. I could use that time to make a phone call or be a better self.


Be a better recycler. We throw a lot of things out that should be recycled. I confess sometimes it is easier to throw it away than to rinse and recycle. Stop making excuses, this is a very easy way to make a small difference in the world my son lives in.

Drink more tea. Try two new teas each month to find a few that I really like. Enjoy them in the afternoon or after dinner in place of wine or beer. Appreciate the process, the smell, the warmth of a cup of tea.

Date night in. Two times a month (once when I cook and once when Dave cooks), eat dinner after Nolan goes to bed. While I know having a family meal is important I also know that eating a leisurely meal while speaking to your spouse is equally important.

Stop keeping score. I am terrible about keeping track of who took out the garbage, emptied the dishwasher, changed the toilet paper, etc. Then I get mad and resentful for the score being uneven, even if I’m a bad scorekeeper. Things need to be done. Just do it. If I need help, ask and be specific about what I want and in what time frame.

Take it easier on myself. Treat myself better. We are all our worse critics. I am terrible. I take a yoga class in a room with mirrors and criticize my body the entire class. I put so much effort into thinking about the ‘right’ thing to do I have trouble just being me. Silence my inner critic and treat myself to things that I will appreciate. I enjoy pedicures but not as much as a yoga class. Take the yoga class and paint my own toes. Relax my conscience about what Nolan should be eating and just let him enjoy food.

DO things, stop thinking about doing things. If it takes less than 1 minute, do it when I think of it. If it takes less than 10 minutes, do it during Nolan’s nap or after dinner. Make a list and get it done. Stop putting things off, it only frustrates you to see it not done. After dinner, get ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment