Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Over the past 15 months I've come to appreciate the type of parents my parents are more and more than ever. Some of the thoughts that have gone through my head these past year or so have been mostly in awe of how my parents parented. And while me and my Dad's relationship hasn't always been smooth sailing, I'm coming to learn how amazing of a man he really is. Some of my favorite memories growing up were following my Dad around the house and yard, watching him do/fix/make/repair things. I loved being his little helper, knowing what the difference was between a Phillips and straight slot screwdriver and pretending to be his assistant. Some of my favorite childhood praises were how handy and helpful I was. My Dad once suggested I could become a carpenter I was so handy. It's funny because I have kept that memory/praise close to my heart. I love knowing I surprised him with a skill I didn't even know I had. And now, as a parent, I think about how time consuming it must have been to be doing work and managing a tag-a-long kid. I am in awe of my Dad and his patience for me. And I am forever thankful for him not shrugging me off because I cherish those memories.


I've always been amazed at the things my Dad has done/built/made for us. I often wonder if I'll ever obtain the saws and tools needed to build things with my own hands, just like my Dad. I hope I do. And when I do, I hope I have the patience with Nolan as my Dad did with me so that he might cherish the memories with me as I do with my Dad. Happy Father's Day Dad. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment