Sunday, May 8, 2011

To My Mom

It’s been a challenge lately to find time to do things, the chores, the yard work/gardening, the cleaning, the reading, the spending QUALITY time with my husband and nurturing and keeping safe my son. On top of that I feel like I haven’t had time to get deep with emotion about anything. I just feel too busy. For those who know me know that I cry. I cry when things are heartwarming, when things are sad, when there is misfortune, when there are gooey commercials (thank you Hallmark for ending that string of commercials). And lately I’ve just begun to get that back. Crazy, right? It feels like I haven’t had time to FEEL life. I’m just getting through it. I want to FEEL life. Today I really wanted to take a moment to think about one of those things I seemed to have lost time for- honoring my mom.





Being a mother really makes me think about the things my own Mom did and does. She always has big hugs for me whenever I need them. She always seems to REALLY listen to me when I talk- I talk a lot. She would always rub my head when I put it in her lap when we watched tv together, even when I was older. She always looks me in the eye and makes me feel like I am the most important person on Earth. She created the perfect balance being my friend and my mom, and now my mentor. And mostly I have always felt loved. I mean REALLY loved. Loved from deep within.

I have a lot of learning to do about how she (and my Dad) did such a great job raising my brother and I. As adults I’ve had some interesting and shocking conversations about secrets my parents kept from us. Secrets that make me realize how dedicated they were to having a particular household- secrets that range from how easy tacos are to make (often my requested dinner meal) to our family’s financial picture. It made me realize that no matter what age your child is, sometimes we must shelter them. We must do our best to keep their world full of our attention, fun and playfulness and that when our children think we are superheros, we must let them believe that.




My mom is a Super Hero. She’s THE most amazing woman I have ever known. She has the biggest heart I’ve ever felt. She is so smart and so strong and so beautiful. I hope to one day be thought of the way I think of her. Happy Mother’s Day Mom. I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment