Monday, May 16, 2011

Sleep



As parents I think everyone makes little white lies about their children, things that elevate them from others or make them seem better than they really are. Every parent knows that person who is always asking things like 'is she walking yet? My kid walked at 9 months.' etc. And the reality of it is, she probably didn't. She probably stood at 9 months and the parent held her hands and swung her body so she was 'walking'. Of course, some babies may walk that early but it's very early.


Something I discovered is many people fib about their child's sleeping habits. Some parents say their child sleeps through the night, but that might be from 12-5, which is a blessing when your baby is waking up 2-4 times a night. People tend to be rather honest about the napping but the overnight sleeping is where the fibs occur. I am guilty of it too. When people ask when Nolan wakes up, I generally say between 6-6:30. Then I realize that's wrong, I'm completely lying. He generally wakes up between 5-6:30. And rarely it's at 6:30. We don't go to him until 6:30 so that's probably where that little fib comes in. But mostly I lay in bed listening to him until 6:30, willing him to go back to sleep. I don't know why I don't tell the truth, perhaps to make my little angel look perfect? He is perfect in so many ways, but sadly sleeping until 6:30 is not one of them.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I recently admitted to a bunch of mum-friends that I still give Ruby a bottle sometime between 5 and 6:30am because she'll normally fall right back to sleep after and give me a just a little more of the "golden hours" for myself (I don't know if you've noticed that all sleep is not equal - losing sleep between 5 and 7am hurts a lot more than losing sleep between, say 1-3am...) Anyway, this admission was followed by a CHORUS of stories about 3 year-olds who still slip into mom's bed at 6am, or 2-year-olds still on the early-morning bottle habit, because by heck if it gives us an extra 20 minutes, we're gonna take it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete