Thursday, October 7, 2010

A little bit of Seriousness

I don't know how public the story is in the rest of the country but here in CT the Cheshire Home Invasion story has been a terrifying example of the scary world we live in. It has been on the front page of the newspaper everyday for the past few weeks- every day, because one of the villans is on trial. The daily story is like a car crash, I look at the paper determined to not read it but I find myself halfway through the article before I stop myself from reading any more of the awful details of this story. I try to not learn the details because I am too scared. My imagination haunts me worse than any of the real details- oh, and the details are in the paper and the ones that snuck through my self censoring are horrible. A home invasion has become one of my most terrifying fears because of this event.

One of the evil men on trial was found guilty of 16 of the 17 charges, it was determined he did not 'light' the fire. We will learn in weeks if he will be sentenced to death or life in prison. I don't know how I feel about any of this (actually I do but don't want to start a political debate about it) but I hope Dr Petit feels some sort of acceptance- is that the right word? Validation, Justice, Relief?

And while this is incredibly selfish and quite insensitive to say, I hope this story goes away and I don't have to think about it again. It is so terrifying it's too hard to comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment