Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Slept through the night...


Last night, Nolan slept through the night. Now this is a wonderful piece of news but sleep was not a home run. Dave gave him an A-, I gave him a B for his efforts. While he slept from 9:30-5:30, he also woke up 3 times between 7:30 and 9:30 and wailed for about 20-30 minutes each wake up.

In every book I read I take all advice with a grain of salt and then ponder if that advice fits with my parenting method. There is so much advice out there, even from well meaning friends and family, that just doesn't fit or work with either me, Dave or Nolan. I was reading a book about sleep and it mentioned that newborns (and apparently Nolan is still a newborn) should have no more than a 2 hour wakeful period and that a restorative nap is at least 45 minutes long. Well, taking that tidbit of information I paid close attention to Nolan's behavior and whaddya know? After about 1.5 hours he showed tired behavior. So I scooped him up and rocked him and he fell asleep- quickly and easily. Then I swaddled him and rocked him some more then placed him in his crib or Pack N Play and he slept.

So! Yesterday I read my book and showered during his first nap. I ate lunch and chopped and cooked some vegetables (on the stove!) then checked email etc during his second nap. And I did more email and blogged during his third nap yesterday. And while Nolan did not fall asleep (and stay asleep) well last night, this is a huge step in the right direction. YAY Nolan!

No comments:

Post a Comment