Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Forcing Change?

Every once in a while I get the feeling that Nolan should be doing something different. And I try to encourage/force him to change. And after a frustrating day generally ending in tears and self wallowing, I learn my lesson... I can not force him to change.
I believe very strongly the theory that I read in the book The Happiest Baby on the Block. That the first 3 months of a newborns life should be regarded as the 4th trimester and my job is to simulate the womb- swaddle, shush, side laying, sucking and shaking or rocking. Also the theory that you can't spoil a baby by picking them up when they are crying and that they can't develop habits or learn tricks to get their parents to do what they want. We've followed the book and it has worked wonders. Then I start trying to force a change.

Nolan is 11 weeks old. Next week will be 12 weeks. However, that is NOT 3 months old yet. And for the next few weeks I'm not going to worry about what happens after 3 months. I am not going to worry yet, if he's begun to realize that the slightest peep in bed equals one of us waking up to rock him. I'm not going to worry yet, if he's getting 'spoiled'. Technically I still have 2 more full weeks of his 4th trimester until I need to worry about what happens next. I wish there was a book for 'Post- Happiest Baby on the Block'- the 5th trimester.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Do your best not to fret about it at all for the next two weeks. I believe that we have to let our little boys be babies and get smothered with love and snuggles and to decide what they want and when they want it. (with some encouragement when they're sleepy and need coaxing to make it those last few steps to sleep!) Sometime in the fourth month (maybe the fifth), I figure we can start to nudge them to more to directions of sleeping naps in the crib, etc. At least, that's what I'm telling myself!! :-) Hang in there, friend!

    ReplyDelete