Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Bookclub tonight, at my house. I'm so excited to see everyone, talk about the first book I've ever chosen that I think the majority will like. Finally. I'm a terrible book-picker. Which is too bad b/c reading a book you don't like really stinks. Although I think one of the worst books chosen in recent history was the one most talked about. I mean, lets be honest, we don't talk about the book for a long time. Sometimes the book conversation may even go for 10 or 15 minutes! Crazy. But mostly, it's just girl chattering and wine drinking.

So the book I chose was Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, recommended by a coworker and my Gram. She read it for her bookclub- Isn't that awesome? Though I don't think she and her lady-friends drink too much and chatter about sex, marriage, babies and boobies... or maybe they do... it's neat that she and I read the same books. I liked the book (so did she, by the way). It was light and optimistic yet describes a really awful period of time (post-WWII-English Channel Island) and the friendships that developed and how it brought people together who might not have been brought together otherwise. I really liked it.

2 comments:

  1. I loved it as well. Can't wait to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the ladies and talking about this great book. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete