Monday, November 10, 2008

weekend update

I finished Like Water for Chocolate and I really really enjoyed it. I hear it's a movie so I might try to see it, though, it was wonderfully magical and I don't know how a movie like this book could be done without looking silly. Next up: A Yellow Raft in Blue Water by Michael Dorris (Courtney suggested it to me)

This was a good weekend for us, we visited with some family and celebrated birthdays all around and I cooked a TON of food. I bought some turnips and sweet potatoes on a whim at a farmers market last week. I've never cooked turnips but they looked so great and yummy. So I made a stir fry with turnips, sweet potatoes and shrimp for lunch. yum! I made a Cumin Rubbed Pot Roast with Sweet Potatoes and Turnips. I tried for a potato and turnip gratin but that didn't work very well- too watery and not enough cheese. I also made some blueberry muffins and pumpkin cupcakes for the birthday celebration. Dear hubby made a western scramble (ham, onions, peppers) and fruit salad for the birthday celebration.

It's getting to be holiday season, I can tell (not by the tickle in the back of my throat) but by the recent requests for Christmas lists and chatter about Christmas budgets. I was shocked to see candy canes in the grocery store because it doesn't yet feel like Thanksgiving is coming up soon either. To me it feels like August, still. I know that's weird. Maybe September. What happened? When did autumn happen? We had such a mild 'autumn' it's hardly been chilly. But the leaf blowers heard throughout the neighborhood signify the changing of a season. And the lack of neighborhood chatting we do b/c we're not in the yard and it's dark so early. Though, this is a fun time of year. I love this time of year. Not yet stressful, almost the calm before the storm!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVED Like Water for Chocolate! I read it years ago and it still sticks in my mind. Mmm, I get hungry thinking about it. If you watch the movie, be sure to get it with subtitles (as opposed to dubbed). Not as good as the book, but still an enjoyable extension of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the movie too. Definitely check it out. And Brian was sad that I did not come home on Sunday with a cupcake for him. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tagged you: http://jenngator222.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-happiness.html

    ReplyDelete