Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Office Fridge

It's funny, when you think about the office fridge. Most offices have them, and generally they hold the milk for coffee and perhaps some waters. In our office, we have a full sized side-by-side fridge AND a free soda machine. There are (correction: should be) no sodas in the fridge. I wonder exactly what this fridge should hold.

When our division was smaller and filled mostly with men, our fridge held very few items b/c most of the guys went out and bought lunch. There was the occasional takeout container but mostly was filled with, I know this is sexist, the girls' yogurts and salads. As an employee of a small office, I enjoyed the open fridge space greatly. I would often bring my lunch to work on Monday for the whole week. I kept a drawer as 'mine' and was very good at emptying it each Friday.

As our division grew, more and more people began using the fridge. There's the weight-lifting crew who ate 3-4 chicken breasts and raw potatoes (I swear) daily, along with a 4-pack of protein shakes. Then we grew into whole other floor... with no fridge (two floors of people, one fridge). And the fridge got more and more crowded. This is when I began using an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack, kept next to my desk. This was also when those nasty emails starting coming, sent to the whole office stating things like 'the fridge is a privilege and should not be abused' and 'please remember to tag your food with your initials' or 'do not eat other people's lunches' and my favorite 'whoever put the soda in the freezer and forgot it, it exploded. Don't put soda in the freezer'.

Then began the RULES of the kitchen. There were 10 0f them. Some were things like:
*your mother doesn't live here, clean up after yourself
*do not put dirty dishes in the dishwasher if there are clean ones still in there
*don't leave your oatmeal bowls in the sink soaking. Any found in the sink at the end of the day will be thrown away.

I have since moved to another floor with a less filled-to-capacity fridge and am loving it. While we don't often get milk for coffee consistently so it goes bad before we realize we have it BUT we are not fighting for space. What I don't understand hasn't been said, yelled or posted, my personal pet peeve, is

DON'T PUT COOLERS IN THE REFRIGERATOR.

Seriously people, coolers are IN-SU-LAT-ED, which means, it will prevent transfer heat (or cold)! So what this means is, take your big honking cooler out of the freaking refrigerator or take your food OUT of your insulated device and put it in the fridge. If your cooler works, which is should because it's big and taking up more than your allotted space in the fridge, it is not utilizing the cooling effect of the fridge ONLY TAKING UP SPACE!

Currently, on our floor, there is a polite little sign posted saying at 4pm there will be a clean out and everything perishable with no initials on it will be thrown away. I would have done this earlier this week, however I'll be out of the office next week and realized it's not worth my effort, yes, I'm a jerk. But I suspect the following will be thrown out:

Half eaten sheet cake, presumably for someones birthday
Half eaten pie
cottage cheese/fruit container that has been in the fridge for about 2 weeks now
several plastic shopping bags with one or two items in it
a 24 pack of string cheese that has been in there for about 2 months and not opened
4 gallons of milk that expire soon, but no one drinks them until they've gone bad and their cereal breakfast is ruined.

Once that gets cleaned up, we'll be back to our euphoric open-spaced fridge and I'll be happy, but that person who keeps putting their insulated cooler IN the fridge, you are an idiot and don't deserve to use the fridge space.

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic. Especially since I just grabbed my lunch out of the fridge and someone was smelling all the containers of coffee creamer to see if they were still good. :)

    ReplyDelete