Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Summer Harvest


Yesterday I had the pleasure of picking up Shawn and Jill's Community Supported Agriculture food from Old Maid Farm. It's an organic farm in Glastonbury that has chickens (see posting from few weeks ago) along with flowers, veggies, etc. Included in this pickup were
3.5 lbs tomatoes
2.5 lbs squash
2 snow eggplant
1 bucket arugula
1 bucket some other type lettuce
6 leaves of collard greens
6 leave kale
6 leave some other kale
4 jalapenos
4 green peppers
2 carrots
2 hot yellow peppers
1 bushel purple beans
(and a few other things, but I can't remember)
It is really fun too. The food is remarkable bright colored. The carrots are so bright and orange, the peppers are so dark and heavy! YUM. Their skins are shiny and beautiful and they smell scrumptious! I am in LOVE with this farm. And, Farmer George thinks the chickens might be 'done' this weekend. Very exciting.
Jenn and I talk about doing this next year buta fter this pickup I feel strongly about two things:
1- I definitely want to do it next year
2- we definitely need to split it, that's a lot of food!

No comments:

Post a Comment